Monday, February 24, 2014

DENSITY OF TRAINING or DENSE TRAINING? (Training 2/17-2/23)

Monday
am - 8 miles at 8:07 pace, Easy 8
Went in the morning since a ton of snow was in the forecast. Good move!

pm - 8 miles, 6 x 1000m at The Ray
Fully intended to just use Monday as a snow day/recovery from my double long run weekend, but ended up having the opportunity to go run with Mark Wehrman and Michael Martineau at The Ray.

My first indoor track workout since 2009: 20 minute warm up then: 3:20, 19, 20, 24, 22, 16 with 200m jog recovery (93-113 seconds). 1 x 400m in 74. 13 minute cool down. A bit disappointed about how these felt, but considering the volume on my legs, I guess I'll take it.

Tuesday
pm - 9 miles at 7:47, Lakefront Loops
Still really sore (quads). This ended up being much further than I thought. Miserable, very wet conditions thanks to a lot of snow paired with above freezing temps. Honestly I'd take cold and dry over warm and flooded. Great to run with Scott L. (and Mark for a bit)!

Wednesday
pm - 8.79 miles, 2 x 8 x 1 min on, 1 min off
Great workout by feel. 2 x 8 x 1 min on 1 min off with 2 minutes between sets (which I used to tie my shoes). Didn't quite feel as fresh as I would have liked, but we can't have everything in this life...

Felt pretty controlled on all of these. That said, I don't know how much faster I could have run.

Thursday
pm - 9.77 miles at 7:10 pace (this one didn't feel that fast).
Missed having Dan M. with me on this one. Welcome to Slop Fest 2014! I left without my watch connecting to satellites. Ran until the watch said 4.0 miles... Ended up being much further than intended.

To be perfectly honest, this run hurt like crazy. My quads still haven't recovered from hammering them over the last 5 days.

Friday
Off. As I mentioned earlier, soreness in the quads was making my "recovery" runs miserable.

Saturday
19 miles at 7:18 pace
The day off didn't help. This was a very painful run.

Felt like I was jogging the whole time. A lot of muscular soreness in the quadriceps. Glad I got this one in, but my legs are killing me. Took the day before and after off because of family commitments as well as needing to get my legs to heal up a bit before hitting it hard again.

Sunday
Off. With a lot of family commitments this weekend, taking a bit of time off wasn't difficult. Again, I have to be in a position where running 7:18 pace doesn't hurt like crazy.

I was happy to be over the 60 MPW mark despite taking a couple days off. Great DENSITY OF TRAINING (a term Cole Sans introduced me to).Often times I feel like this is accompanied by DENSE TRAINING. Hoping to be a bit more recovered for the coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment